Fall Writing Prompts For Classroom or Personal Journaling
This list of 25 fall writing prompts is great for every writer everywhere. This collection is great for personal journaling. It is also a wonderful addition to classrooms, homeschools, and writing groups. If you would like a printable copy of these fall writing prompts please see the link at the bottom of the post.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
“Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go.-Unknown
25 Fall Writing Prompts
- Write an acrostic poem. – An acrostic is a literary device in which the first letter of every verse consecutively forms a word or message. You can any word. Some examples are AUTUMN – PUMPKIN -APPLES – SWEATER – HALLOWEEN – THANKSGIVING
- Write about a walk through a forest just as the trees are at their peak color. Be very descriptive. Include sensory images as well as details about who is with you, if anyone, and where you are going. What are you wearing? What are you thinking? Who or what do you encounter? Let your imagination run free.
- Write about how each of your senses experiences Fall. Taste, touch, smell, hearing, and sight. What fall sensation is your absolute favorite?
- Pick a single word that describes fall and then think about how it could also describe you or your current circumstances.
- Write about an experience you had carving Halloween pumpkins. Who was there? What face did you put on your jack-o-lantern? Did you toast the seeds?
- What are your favorite fall flavors and why?
- What symbolism do you find in the fall season?
- October is Apple Month. It’s also pear, cheese, pizza, biscuit, pretzel, cookie, and pasta month. Create a new specialty for the fall season. What would it be and how would it be celebrated?
- Write about a trip to an apple orchard or your favorite apple dessert.
- Write about a time you went to a corn maze, hayride, or a Fall Festival.
- Imagine you’re walking through thick forest at night. Above you shines the harvest moon. Around you, the wind is whining and stirring your hair and the boughs of the trees all at once. Beneath your feet, the leaves are crumbling, fleeing from your every step. How would you feel? What else would you see? What would you hear? What would you be thinking about?
- Write about your favorite Halloween memory or costume.
- Did your town have a haunted house? If so, tell all about it. If not, have you ever been to a Halloween themed haunted house? Write about that experience.
- Tell all about your favorite fall scents?
- What is your favorite fall quote?
- Write about the first frost of the season. How does it look and how does it make you feel?
- Tell all about someone you know whose birthday is in October.
- What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?
- Share a scene from your favorite Thanksgiving gathering.
- Think of one person you could invite to Thanksgiving dinner that you have never invited before. Write a scene about how that person might teach a powerful lesson, create some added drama, or add something unexpected to your gathering.
- Fall requires a wardrobe change. What is your favorite fall outfit?
- Fall is known as the Harvest season. Which fall harvest item is your favorite and how do you like to prepare it?
- Summer has passed. What lesson did you learn this summer that you are bringing into this new season?
- Fall is the beginning of the end for our current year. What would you like to accomplish before the New Year?
- Looking ahead to winter, what are you most looking forward to?
“Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.”J.K. Rowling
I hope this list of fall writing prompts will inspire you all season long. We will be using this very list in our homeschool this year and I will include some of your entries right here on the blog. So if you haven’t signed up for my newsletter, there’s no time like the present. You are also welcome to include your thoughts or entries in the comments section below. I love to hear from you!
Other Posts Picked For You
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! Perhaps we can offer you tasty recipes? Maybe our inspirational quotes are just what you need in your life! Perhaps you’ve been wondering where to take that family vacation? Maybe you want to know the truth about what us homeschoolers really do all day! Maybe you love photography and see it as an art, just like me! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter.
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.
- Genuinely Free Career Quiz Options for Teens and Adults
- How To Enjoy A Family Vacation On Edisto Island
- How To Create Solid House Rules For Your Family
- What Is The Ultimate Homeschooling Bundle?
- How To Make The Most of Your Summer Break